The prerequisite for admission to the Master’s program is the possession of a recognized subject-specific Bachelor’s degree (Materials Science, Nanotechnology, Materials Engineering…). Applicants with subject-related or non-equivalent degrees may be admitted to the Master’s program under certain conditions.
Degrees recognized as subject-related are, in particular, bachelor’s or diploma degrees in chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, process engineering as well as in courses of study with a broad material science focus, if and to the extent that the following minimum knowledge was acquired in them:
1. at least 10 ECTS credits in mathematics,
2. at least 20 ECTS credits in physics and chemistry,
3. at least 10 ECTS credits in lab work and IT, and
4. at least 20 ECTS credits in fundamentals of materials science.
- An overall grade of the subject-specific or subject-related degree needs to be 2.50 (= good) or better.oran average grade of 2.9 in the compulsory modules B9, B10 and B11 of the bachelor’s degree course “Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik” (MWT)
- If you are a FAU bachelor student of Materials Science or Nanotechnology you need to have achieved 140 ECTS in fully completed modules by the time of your application for admission.
- Proof of English language skills at the level of at least B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL) through sufficient school or university knowledge or suitable language certificates. The proof can be provided in particular by:
- English lessons at school up to level B2 CEFR with certification to this effect in the school report or a corresponding certificate from the school,
- the successful Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with at least 85 points in the iBT, or
- the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 5.0 or higher.
The proof does not have to be provided if the university entrance qualification or the relevant first professional qualification was acquired in English.
Admission to the master’s program takes place after a qualification assessment test.